Friday, November 26, 2004

Thankful for Liberal Friends

Thanksgiving is now over. I got to enjoy the holiday at the home of some extended family members. In between the turkey and the cheesecake, an old friend from high school and I settled in to a discussion of religion and politics. It seems my friend became liberal (surprise, surprise) sometime between the start of college and living in Rhode Island. Ahhhh, those blues.

Thankfully, my friend was able to speak passionately and clearly about his views. He was very willing to listen to my views. Our discussion was fantastic. I asked him when he was going into politics...he has the education, the articulation, and the passion. I found myself wondering what the Democratic Party would be like if there were more people like him in it. No shrill accusations (which he disagreed with, by the way). Just meaningful, respectful discussion. I hope he considers running.

We discussed nearly everything from gay marriage to the war on terror to solving the problem with Iran. In addition to learning he was woefully informed of some facts, it dawned on me that although he has a moral compass, he just couldn't bring himself to labeling right and wrong. It's one thing to know right and wrong...it is quite another thing to declare it.

In the end, it came down to two totally different views of the country: believing in it or distrusting it. He brought up intelligence failures...how the 2001 terrorist attacks proved we had an intelligence problem and we should have waited to act on Iraq until we got it all straightened out. I wasn't able to discover how long was long enough. Ulimately, our difference was this: at the end of the day, I trust our President, Congress, Courts, Military, and Public to keep each other in check and ultimately get it right. And my friend just wasn't so sure.

1 comment:

Molls said...

You totally need to update. :D More thoughts from RICH!!!