School Board member Lenny Clarke felt compelled to criticize school board critics (a bit hypocritical, eh?) in the Grove City Allied News and Slippery Rock/Grove City Eagle.
The essay wandered over different topics and had several flaws. I'll go over those flaws at a later time.
Clarke's basic proposition was that there is a problem with "self-proclaimed watchdogs" in the community. As a public official, he should expect that citizens are going to watch his actions. He should welcome it - and listen to it. After all, citizens (and voters) have the right to watch over elected officials. His assertion that citizens should mind their own business is insulting.
- A school board that raises taxes every year needs watchdogs.
- A school board that cuts curricula needs watchdogs.
- A school board that seeks to restrict free speech of citizens needs watchdogs.
- A school board that gives outlandish raises to administrators every year needs watchdogs.
- A school board that wants to spend $30 million on unnecessary building projects needs watchdogs.
- A school board that is hostile to any citizen that dares question them...you get it.
Too bad this school board doesn't.