Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Grove City Little League Hero Vic Hughes Passes Away

If you've ever played Little League baseball in Grove City, you have one man to thank: Vic Hughes.

Sadly, Mr. Hughes passed away at the age of 86.

Mr. Hughes was a great community member, giving young boys and girls the opportunity to play organized ball - and stay out of trouble. My brothers and I played some ball and I'm still very active in the Grove City Area Church Softball League - all thanks to Mr. Hughes.

On top of that, look at all of the great ball players that have played over the past several years, from T-ball to high school. What a great tribute to a great man.

God speed, Vic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vic held the league together with little to no money. All us who played ball in Grove City owe him a debt of gratitude for the experience.

Mike in GC said...

Vic Hughes ran me my first bar tab down at "Candyland" in the earliest sixties. We'd stop by for a "suicide" combo soda (I can't remember the recipe) on the way home from Junior High and Vic would occasionally run us a tab if we didn't have any cash. A sweet guy all around. He will be missed.

Mike Rodgers
Grove City, PA