Saturday, March 06, 2010

UPDATE: Wendell August Forge Fire

(original story below this post)

I spent almost all afternoon and evening at the Forge. Before I get into the update, I want to thank the multiple fire companies that responded and did a fabulous job fighting one heck of a fire. I also want to thank those who helped, whether by donating time, equipment, manpower, or food. Especially: McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Four Star Pizza, Little Caesar's Pizza, The Salvation Army, Thomas Construction...and many more. I was also very pleased to see nearly all of my fellow borough council members there helping out the firefighters. Kudos to everyone else I missed. Thank you for showing why Grove City is such a great town.

As for the Forge: the building and the inventory are totally lost. The GREAT news is that many of the heirloom pieces were saved, as were the computer records and master dies. The firefighters and Thomas Construction went above and beyond the call of duty to rescue these invaluable parts of Grove City history.

As for the future: I spoke at length with Will Knecht and the Forge will be rebuilt! I'll let Mr. Knecht share his vision and plans when he feels ready.

As mentioned before, no one was hurt in the fire. All customers and workers escaped without harm.

Here's a great personal account of the WAF fire from my friend and fellow councilman, Joe Pisano.

Here are some pictures (many thanks to Jeff Corbett for some of the pics):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: